Weather Alerts 2 View »

Metro Sergeant Suspended For Failure To Arrest Drunk Officer

Metro Sergeant Suspended For Failure To Arrest Drunk Officer

CREATED Jun 18, 2014
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - A Metropolitan Nashville Police sergeant has been suspended without pay after his part in a decision to drive another officer home when he turned up drunk at work, instead of making an immediate arrest.

Officials said South Precinct Sergeant Terrence Bradley was given a 15-day suspension without pay.

The officer who admitted to drinking and two of his supervisors were decommissioned because of the incident.

Police said 33-year-old Officer Nathan Silvers reported to work in his personal vehicle at 10:45 p.m. Friday night for his midnight shift. He was supposed to arrive at work by 10:30 p.m. but reportedly called and said he would be late.

When he arrived, Sergeant Bradley noticed the smelled of alcohol, and that Silvers' eyes were bloodshot and watery. Bradley disarmed Silvers and relieved him from duty.

Two breath alcohol tests were administered. Officials said the first test came back with a 0.31 percent blood alcohol result. The second test showed 0.25 percent. Both results were much higher than the legal limit of 0.08 percent.

Silvers apparently admitted to drinking six longneck bottles of beer between 4 and 7 p.m. before reporting for duty.

Officials said Bradley consulted with Field Supervising Captain Kenny Dyer regarding the incident. They decommissioned Silvers and drove him to his Hendersonville home with the understanding that he was to report to police headquarters Monday morning.

Chief Steve Anderson and the deputy chiefs were not made aware of that decision. Once Chief Anderson learned of the incident early Saturday, he ordered a criminal investigation into the incident to be conducted by the DUI Unit.

Both Dyer and Bradley were immediately decommissioned.

Silvers was then charged with driving under the influence, unlawful gun possession while under the influence of alcohol, and violation of the implied consent law for refusing to submit to a blood alcohol test.

He submitted his resignation Monday, which will be effective following a 30-day suspension.

Captain Dyer submitted his notice of retirement Monday, which will also be effective following a 30-day suspension.

The disciplinary action against Bradley was issued Tuesday afternoon.

Silvers had just graduated from the police academy in April. Dyer, a 26-year Metro Police veteran, had been promoted to captain on March 1.

Officials said Bradley has been with the police department for 14 years.

Past Stories: