Weather Alerts 35 View »

Metro Officer Charged With DUI; 3 Decommissioned

Metro Officer Charged With DUI; 3 Decommissioned

CREATED Jun 14, 2014

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – An officer for the Metro Nashville Police Department, along with two of his supervisors, were decommissioned after he was charged with DUI.

Metro Police said 33-year-old Nathan Silvers has been charged with DUI after driving his personal vehicle to work while allegedly intoxicated, unlawful gun possession while under the influence of alcohol and violation of the implied consent law for refusing to submit to a blood alcohol test.

He was taken into custody Saturday afternoon.

Police said Silvers reported to work at 10:45 p.m. Friday night for his midnight shift. He was supposed to come in at 10:30 p.m. but reportedly called and said he would be late.

When he arrived, Sergeant Terrence Bradley reportedly noticed the smelled of alcohol and that his eyes were bloodshot and watery. Bradley disarmed Silvers and relieved him from duty.

Officials said Silvers admitted to consuming six longneck bottles of beer between 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. Friday.

Bradley also consulted with Field Supervising Captain Kenny Dyer regarding the incident. They decommissioned Silvers and drove him to his Hendersonville home with the understanding that he was to report to police headquarters Monday morning.

Neither Chief Steve Anderson nor South Precinct Commander Paul Trickey was made aware that Silvers was not being immediately arrested.

After learning of the incident, Chief Anderson ordered an immediate investigation of Silvers and also ordered the decommissioning of Captain Dyer and Sergeant Bradley, pending a review of their decision making rationale.

“All members of this police department are expected to conduct themselves in such a way that enhances the trust and confidence Nashville’s citizens have in us,” Chief Anderson said. “It goes without saying that supervisors should lead the way. The events of last night are serious and are being treated as such.”

Silvers bond was set by a judicial commissioner at $2,000.

He graduated from the police academy in November of 2013.