Jury Convicts Memphis Man In Fatal Shooting Of 3
MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) - A prosecutor says a Memphis man convicted of killing his girlfriend and her parents during a shooting rampage should receive the death penalty because he committed mass murder.
Prosecutor Jennifer Nichols delivered an opening statement in the sentencing hearing for 31-year-old Sedrick Clayton on Saturday afternoon.
A jury convicted Clayton earlier in the day of first-degree murder in the deaths of his girlfriend, 23-year-old Pashea Fisher, and her parents following an argument in the Fishers' home on Jan. 19, 2012.
Before the trial, Clayton offered to plead guilty in return for serving three consecutive life sentences without parole. Shelby County District Attorney Amy Weirich rejected the offer.
Defense attorney Gerald Skahan said Clayton's prior admission of guilt should allow jurors to hand down a sentence of life in prison.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.)