Weather Alerts 1 View »

Person Of Interest Named In Disappearance Of Hermitage Woman

  • Play

Photo: Video by NewsChannel5.com

Person Of Interest Named In Disappearance Of Hermitage Woman

CREATED Jun 10, 2014
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – A person of interest has been named in connection with the disappearance of a 36-year-old Hermitage woman.

Officials with the Metro Nashville Police Department said 33-year-old Caleb Cannon, who lives in Anderson County, has been implicated in the disappearance of Nikki Burgess. He has not been named as a suspect in the case.

Burgess has been missing for more than two weeks and Metro Police believe she is deceased.

“At this point the police department believes it likely that likely Ms. Burgess is deceased and we are continuing our efforts to find out what happened to her,” said Don Aaron spokesman for the Metro Nashville Police Department.

Last week, his residence in Andersonville was searched for possible evidence linking him to the case. Court records said experienced and certified cadaver dogs hit on the presence of human decomposition inside the home and inside the trunk of a car owned by Cannon.

Cannon is also the father of Burgess’ 10-year-old son. On the day she disappeared, police said Cannon was in Nashville to pick their son up from school.

At some point, Burgess sent a text message to one of her friends, although police wouldn’t elaborate on what the text said, court documents revealed it mentioned an altercation between Burgess and Cannon.

It was the last time anyone has heard from her.

“We know he arrived to pick up his son from school late, so late in fact that other students who attended the same school were already home,” said Aaron.

One of those classmates, who regularly plays with the victim's son, told police he saw Cannon and the victim's son at the home after school.

The victim's son reportedly told the classmate, “He might not be seeing his mom anymore, because she is probably dead,” and that “He was pretty sure that his dad had killed his mom.”

Court documents also stated the boys sat down inside the house for a few minutes and Cannon would not let them play video games in one room or go into the bathroom because the toilet was broken.

Police said when they checked the toilet, it worked just fine.

NewsChannel 5 spoke to Cannon’s father Monday afternoon on the phone. He said Cannon would love to tell his side of the story, but a lawyer has advised him not to say anything.

Previous Stories: