Teen Killed While Changing Tire Remembered

  • Play

Photo: Video by NewsChannel5.com

Teen Killed While Changing Tire Remembered

CREATED Apr 11, 2014

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. – A family friend of the 13-years-old killed by a driver while he was attempting the change a tire along I-24 spoke about the tragedy.

One day after the death of 13-year-old Clifton Braunwalder, it's still hard for many people to believe the Boy Scout known for his smile and laughs, is gone.  

"He died living the way Boy Scouts are supposed to live; right in the middle doing his good turn daily, helping his mom right there when she needed someone to change the tire," said family friend Rob Thomas.

Thursday afternoon along I-24 West in Smyrna, Clifton was changing his family's car tire while his mother and sister waited. That's when police say Tina Wilson struck the boy; he later died from his injuries.  

Clifton was the third of his parents' five children.  The young man loved camping, back packing, football and wrestling.

"We as a church community here and all of Murfreesboro and all of Middle Tennessee area, all we can do is pray for them and lift them up and hope that they can make it through," Thomas said.  

Braunwalder was young in age, but we now know he was more than a Boy Scout, he was a teacher of life.  

"Clifton certainly, even in a very short period of time, lived every day to the fullest. He was a great example, for young and old alike, on how to do it; he did it right," said Thomas.  

As of Friday night, funeral arrangements for Braunwalder have not been finalized.  

In lieu of flowers, the Braunwalder family is asking you make donations to one of the following:

Middle Tennessee Council –Boy Scouts of America
St. Rose Catholic Church Youth Group
MTSU Catholic Center
Nashville Rescue Mission

The woman charged in a hit-and-run crash, 33-year-old Tina Wilson, has been denied bond. 

Wilson was booked into the Rutherford County Jail Friday morning after investigators took out warrants for vehicular homicide and aggravated vehicular assault. She had previously been released overnight on bond. 

She was initially charged with failure to give immediate notification of a fatal crash and leaving the scene of an accident following Thursday's crash. A DUI charge that was filed against her was dropped, but Sgt. Bill Miller with the Tennessee Highway Patrol said blood samples were being tested.

The two additional charges were filed Friday morning.