Weather Alerts 3 View »

Lightning Sparked Fire That Destroyed Franklin Home

Lightning Sparked Fire That Destroyed Franklin Home

CREATED Apr 4, 2014

FRANKLIN, Tenn. – Fire officials said a lightning strike sparked a massive fire that destroyed a three-story home in Williamson County.

The home caught fire around 7 a.m. Friday at Tulloss Road off Clovercroft Road in Franklin.

A storm system made its way through the area earlier in the morning, but it was unclear if it was still storming when the fire broke out.

A passerby saw the roof on fire, but couldn't get up the driveway. He reportedly climbed the fence around the home, and knocked on the door until someone inside woke up.

The woman was house sitting for the owners, who were in California, and got out safely. The homeowners were reportedly flying back after getting news about the fire.

Smoke could be seen from miles away nearly an hour after the fire broke out.

Sky5 HD showed that the remnants of the more than 20,000 square foot home were completely engulfed in flames. Firefighters sprayed water on the flames, but the home was gutted.

A firefighter fell while fighting the blaze, and was taken to Williamson County Medical Center as a precaution.

Five fire departments responded to the scene to help get the fire under control, but had issues with the water supply because there are no hydrants nearby. Firefighters were using water tankers to douse the flames, but they had to be refilled once they emptied.