Loading...

Weather Alerts 40 View »

McCaul: Fort Hood Shooter Identified As Ivan Lopez

McCaul: Fort Hood Shooter Identified As Ivan Lopez

CREATED Apr 2, 2014 - UPDATED: Apr 2, 2014

FORT HOOD, Texas (AP) - A Texas congressman has identified the suspect in the shooting at Fort Hood as Ivan Lopez.

U.S. Rep. Michael McCaul, chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, said Wednesday's shooting happened at a medical center at the base.

The gunman has been identified as Ivan Lopez. Officials say he was a soldier who was being diagnosed with Post-traumatic stress disorder. The gunman died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

U.S. law enforcement officials say four people, including the shooter, were killed when a gunman opened fire Wednesday at Fort Hood.

One of the officials, citing official internal U.S. Justice Department updates, said 14 others were hurt. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to release information by name.

All-clear sirens sounded at Fort Hood as the lockdown was lifted hours after the deadly shooting at the Texas Army post.

Hundreds of cars began streaming from the giant complex, including children who had been kept in locked-down schools.

The Texas Army base was the scene of a mass shooting in 2009. Thirteen people were killed and more than 30 wounded in what was the deadliest attack on a domestic military installation in history.

On its Twitter feed and Facebook page, Fort Hood on Wednesday ordered everyone on base to "shelter in place." The 1st Cavalry Division, which is based at Fort Hood, sent a Twitter alert telling people on base to close doors and stay away from windows.

White House spokesman Josh Earnest said the president has been informed of the reports of a shooting at Fort Hood and will continue to receive updates as he attends a pair of Democratic Party fundraisers in Chicago.

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel also has been informed of the shooting, said Navy Rear Admiral John Kirby.

Army psychiatrist Nidal Hasan was convicted and sentenced to death last year in the Nov. 5, 2009, attack on his fellow soldiers as they waited inside a crowded building at Fort Hood. Soldiers there were waiting to get vaccines and routine paperwork after recently returning from deployments or while preparing to go to Afghanistan and Iraq.

According to testimony during Hasan's trial last August, Hasan walked inside carrying two weapons and several loaded magazines, shouted "Allahu Akbar!" - Arabic for "God is great!" - and opened fire with a handgun.

Witnesses said he targeted soldiers as he walked through the building, leaving pools of blood, spent casings and dying soldiers on the floor. Photos of the scene were shown to the 13 officers on the military jury.

The rampage ended when Hasan was shot in the back by Fort Hood police officers outside the building, which left him paralyzed from the waist down. Hasan is now on death row at the military prison at Fort Leavenworth in Kansas.

After that shooting, the military tightened security at bases nationwide. Those measures included issuing security personnel long-barreled weapons, adding an insider-attack scenario to their training, and strengthening ties to local law enforcement, according to Peter Daly, a vice admiral who retired from the Navy in 2011. The military also joined an FBI intelligence-sharing program aimed at identifying terror threats.

In September, a former Navy man opened fire at the Washington Navy Yard, leaving at least 13 people dead, including the gunman. After that shooting, Hagel ordered the Pentagon to review security at all U.S. defense installations worldwide and examine the granting of security clearances that allow access to them.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.)