NASHVILLE, Tenn. - A former Vanderbilt football player accused of being involved in a rape on campus testified Friday that he wanted a California defense attorney to be part of his defense team in the case in Nashville.
Vandenburg testified that he wanted attorney Albert Perez Jr. to be one of his lawyers over the objection of prosecutors. The 20-year-old former player is from California.
Prosecutors earlier filed a motion saying two witnesses made statements saying Perez was directly involved with the destruction or attempted destruction of evidence in the case. Perez has denied the allegations.
Defense attorneys have accused prosecutors of trying to control who gets to represent Vandenburg.
On Monday, one of Vandenburg's other attorneys, John Herbison, filed another motion in criminal court. It asked the Davidson County District Attorney General's Office step down from the case.
"Prosecutors have a duty not only to the state, but to the court and to the defendants to be fair and that has not happened here," said Herbison.
The motion argues that prosecutors led by Deputy District Attorney Tom Thurman have threatened witnesses and even felony extortion involving defendants. Herbison wants the prosecutors removed from the case or the charges dropped against Vandenburg.
The District Attorney's office issued a response to the motion: "We strongly deny these baseless allegations and deny any inappropriate conduct in this case. As we have said from the beginning, the appropriate time and place to respond to these motions is in court."
Vandenburg is charged with rape along with three other former players in connection with the alleged sexual assault of a unconcscious student inside a campus dorm last June. A trial date is set for August.
- March 25, 2014: Motion To Remove DA From Vandy Rape Case
- Feb. 25, 2014: Vanderbilt Rape Suspect Talks About Case Against Him
- Feb. 23, 2014: Police Interview With Alleged Vanderbilt Rape Victim, Suspect
- Jan. 22, 2014: Judge Allows Removal Of GPS Ankle Device For Cory Batey
- Jan. 16, 2014: New Development In Vanderbilt Rape Case
- Dec. 24, 2013: Response Filed In Vanderbilt Rape Case
- Dec. 17, 2013: Vandy Rape Suspect Wants GPS Ankle Device Removed
- Dec. 2, 2013: New Developments In Vanderbilt Rape Case
- Nov. 26, 2013: Exclusive: Vanderbilt Rape Suspect Talks About Charges
- Nov. 26, 2013: Former Vandy Player Charged With Rape Appears In Court
- Nov. 25, 2013: Exclusive: Vanderbilt Rape Suspect Speaks Out
- Nov. 7, 2013: California Man Pleads Not Guilty To Evidence Tampering In Vandy Case
- Oct. 16, 2013: Trial Date Set For 2 Dismissed Vanderbilt Players
- Oct. 11, 2013: California Man Charged In Vandy Rape Case Surrenders
- Sep. 26, 2013: Plea Deals Unlikely For Suspects In Vandy Rape Case
- Sep. 19, 2013: DA Says Quarterback, Coach Not Involved In Rape Case
- Sep. 17, 2013: Vanderbilt's WR Boyd Dismissed From Team
- Sep. 13, 2013: Suspended Vandy WR Boyd Pleads Guilty, New Details Released
- Sep. 11, 2013: Journalist Defends Using 'Anonymous Sources' In Vanderbilt Story
- Sep. 10, 2013: James Franklin: Dismisses Report In Rape Case
- Sep. 4, 2013: Former Vanderbilt Player Vandenburg Released On Bond
- Aug. 21, 2013: Former Vanderbilt Players Plead Not Guilty In Rape Case
- Aug. 20, 2013: Vanderbilt WR Boyd, 2 Others Indicted In Vanderbilt Case
- Aug. 16, 2013: Ex-Vanderbilt Player Released After Posting Bond
- Aug. 15, 2013: Former Vanderbilt Player Pleads Not Guilty In Rape Case
- Aug. 12, 2013: Hearing Set For Former Vandy Players Accused Of Rape
- Aug. 9, 2013: Final Ex-Vanderbilt Player Turns Himself Into Cops