Man Shot, Killed By Police After Carjacking In Midtown Nashville

Man Shot, Killed By Police After Carjacking In Midtown Nashville

CREATED Mar 23, 2014

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Police shot and killed a man in a busy Nashville shopping center after they said he carjacked a woman and led officers on a lengthy chase throughout the city.

Officials with the Metro Nashville Police Department identified the man as Aaron Dino Smith Jr., 51, of Franklin. Metro Police Spokesperson Don Aaron said Smith was on parole and had multiple convictions in Davidson and Williamson counties.

The incident started around 5 p.m. when police said Smith came into America's Motor Sports on Eighth Avenue. A Smyrna Police Detective, who was at the store investigating a vehicle burglary, identified Smith as the suspect in his burglary case.

The officer asked to speak with Smith outside the business. Smith then pointed a gun at the officer and took off on foot. Police said he carjacked a 43-year-old woman at South Street near 8th Avenue.

Police said Smith then drove erratically throughout multiple parts of Nashville.

Police said Smith abandoned his car on West End Avenue and took off on foot on Elliston Place. He arrived at the Elliston Point shopping center around 6:17 p.m. Officers on the scene said Smith was pointing a gun at his head and attempting to enter businesses in the shopping center.

Officers converged on him, and fatally shot him.

"When that gun came at the direction of the officers, they fired," said Don Aaron. "One officer said when you think about what had happened earlier, there was no way this person could go inside these businesses with innocent citizens."

Employees of two businesses and innocent bystanders were in some cases just feet away from the scene. 

"I can see this corner here there, three bullets here; there is a bullet right there and from the other side there's a bullet that came here," explains Moe Hantouli who owns Roma Pizza shop on Elliston Place where the suspect was shot and killed. "We were lucky, thank God nobody got hit."

Multiple witnessed reporting hearing gunshots.

"Unfortunately, we are in a day and time that it can happen anywhere and any place," said witness Peggy White. "We happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time."

Hours after the shooting, Metro police remained on the scene wrapping up their investigation.