Three Injured In I-65 Crash Near Millersville

Three Injured In I-65 Crash Near Millersville

CREATED Mar 11, 2014

MILLERSVILLE, Tenn. – The identities have been released of three people injured on southbound Interstate 65 along the Sumner/Robertson County line.

The crash happened around 2 p.m. Tuesday in the southbound lanes at mile marker 103, just past the Bethel Road on ramp.

Officials said a tractor trailer had lost its load and troopers from the Tennessee Highway Patrol were performing a commercial vehicle inspection as part of their inspection.

They said 31-year-old Steven Stryker was driving a Ford F-350 and towing a trailer in the right lane when he came upon the incident, and traffic suddenly stopped because of this first incident.

The truck rear-ended a Toyota Corolla driven by 41-year-old Scottie Bratten. The Corolla spun around and into the left lane.

The pick-up continued in the right lane until it struck a Chevrolet pickup James Barlar, which was then pushed into the back of a semi-truck hauling double trailers driven by 63-year-old John Heilers from Columbia, Kentucky.

Officials said the Ford F-350 also struck the semi, passed it and spun out of control before striking another semi driven by 34-year-old James Stanley from Milledgeville, Georgia.

Chief Ronnie Williams from the Millersville Police Department said several people were injured. Bratten was transported to an area hospital by Lifeflight medical helicopter. He was wearing his seatbelt. Jason Anderson, a passenger in the Corolla, was also transported by LifeFlight. Anderson was not wearing a seatbelt.

Both Madison residents were in critical condition.

Barlar, from Ashland City, was transported by ground to Vanderbilt University Medical Center. He was wearing his seatbelt at the time of the crash.

An update of their conditions was not available.

Officials said charges were pending against Stryker and Bratten, though the specific charges were unknown.

Southbound lanes were forced closed as emergency crews worked at the scene. Traffic was backed up for five miles in both directions.

A second crash happened in the northbound lanes around 3:10 p.m. at mile marker 104. Officials said a driver in a truck slammed on the brakes and something flew from it and hit another car. No one was injured, but the crash was causing traffic problems. 

The crash forced the closure of northbound lanes.

The interstate was reopened around 5:45 p.m., but traffic was still moving slowly through the area. Officials advised drivers to avoid the area and seek alternate routes until traffic improved. 

Crews from the Millersville Police Department, Robertson County Sheriff's Office, Sumner County Sheriff's Office and Tennessee Highway Patrol responded to the scene of both incidents.