Deadly Hickman County Fire Ruled Accidental
HICKMAN COUNTY, Tenn. – A fire that killed an elderly couple in Hickman County has been ruled accidental.
Hickman County Sheriff Randal Ward said it's believed a heater in the garage of the home on Dodd Hollow Road had a short in it, which sparked the fire in the early morning hours of January 31.
Authorities initially said they thought the fire was suspicious, but Sheriff Ward said the owner had put in plastic shredded insulation that burned extremely hot, causing the fire to spread quickly.
The bodies of the couple who lived in the home, 88-year-old R.T. Rivers and his wife 86-year-old Ruby Rivers, were found after the fire was extinguished.
The couple's home was located in the Nunnelly community, about 15 minutes north of Centerville. R.T. Rivers was a retired Church of Christ minister, and the couple was well known in the community
Ward said the roaring blaze exploded cars in the garage and burned the house to the ground.