2 Murfreesboro Residents Rescued From Balcony During Fire
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. – Two Rutherford County residents were rescued Sunday night from their balcony during an apartment fire.
Officials with the Murfreesboro Fire and Rescue Department said the fire broke out inside an apartment at the Woods at Greenland in Murfreesboro before 7 p.m.
Crews said they arrived on the scene and found heavy smoke exciting a third story apartment.
The two residents were unable to escape the unit due to heavy smoke. Fire officials extended a ladder to them and they were able to climb down to safety.
According to Shift Commander Dale Maynard, when crews entered the unit, heavy flames were coming from the kitchen. Crews had to pull a hose line from the engine company to put the fire out.
The fire was said to be the result of unattended cooking.
No one was injured as a result of the blaze.
Officials said the apartment received moderate smoke, heat and water damage throughout. Two units below received water damage.