Families Displaced After Northeast Nashville Apartment Fire
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Several families were displaced after a fire broke out at an apartment complex in northeast Nashville on Tuesday afternoon.
The fire broke out around 1:45 p.m. at Point Breeze Apartments on Lemont Drive. Officials with the Nashville Fire Department said it took about 20 minutes to contain the fire.
Sky 5 HD showed extensive damage to the roof and side of one of the buildings.
Carol Bray, one of the residents, told NewsChannel 5 the fire started when a candle in a glass jar exploded and spread rapidly throughout her apartment. When she couldn't put out the fire by herself, Bray said she ran next door to warn her neighbors.
"What I feel worse about is that these are my neighbors," said Bray.
No residents were injured, but a firefighter was reportedly injured when steam from the blaze burned his face.
Ten units were either severely damaged or destroyed. At least 10 residents have been displaced as a result of the fire.
The fire rekindled overnight, but was quickly extinguished.
A previous fire broke out at the same apartments in November of 2012. Eight units were damaged after officials said someone improperly disposed of a cigarette.