Bellevue YMCA Reopens After Plane Crash

Bellevue YMCA Reopens After Plane Crash

CREATED Feb 7, 2014

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Bellevue YMCA that was the site of a small plane crash on Monday has now reopened.

The Bellevue location of the YMCA reopened Friday at 4 p.m. The Metro Nashville Police Department released the area around the crash site back to the Y earlier in the afternoon.

On Friday morning, dogs found something near the site, though it was initially unclear what it was. A second set of dogs were brought in to ensure nothing had been missed. Officials with Metro Police said the dogs later assisted in a final inspection of the area.

Officials with the YMCA said group exercise classes will be limited for the remainder of the day but regular schedules should resume Saturday. 

After the Y reopens, members are invited to sign sympathy cards for the crash victims. There will also be a wreath laid at the crash site.

The owners of 16 vehicles in the debris area from the crash have been retrieving their vehicles since Wednesday.

The Bellevue YMCA was evacuated Monday around 5 p.m. after a Gulfstream 690C piloted by 62-year-old Glenn Mull crashed just outside the building.

Mull was killed in the crash. Also killed was his 63-year-old wife Elaine, their 40-year-old daughter Amy Harter, and granddaughter 16-year-old Samantha Harter.

The four had been traveling to Nashville for the National Cattlemen's Beef Association Trade Show.

The flight missed its first approach at the airport and was preparing for a second one when it crashed.

Some YMCA employees were allowed back in the facility Wednesday afternoon to get the building ready to reopen. Officials initially had hoped to have the building open Thursday.

"I think people are ready to get back. This Y is a community. It's more than that building and I think it'll be good for people to see the people that they always see and foster those relationships that they normally nurture when they're here at the Y and I think that'll be part of the healing process," said Fain.

Structural engineers inspected the facility and found no damage as a result of the crash.

Past Stories:

(The Associated Press Contributed To This Report.)