Bellevue YMCA Remains Closed While NTSB Probes Deadly Plane Crash

Bellevue YMCA Remains Closed While NTSB Probes Deadly Plane Crash

CREATED Feb 5, 2014

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Bellevue YMCA remained closed Wednesday while officials with the National Transportation Safety Board continued their investigation into a deadly plane crash.

Officials arrived Tuesday afternoon to begin their investigation, but it was delayed when heavy rains moved through the area Tuesday night.

The Gulfstream 690C crashed just before 5 p.m. Monday near the pool area at the Y on Highway 100.

Killed were the pilot 62-year-old Glenn Mull and his 63-year-old wife Elaine, their daughter 40-year-old Amy Harter and granddaughter 16-year-old Samantha Harter.

The family from Kansas was traveling to the National Cattlemen's Beef Association Trade Show in Nashville. Metro Police said the plane missed its first approach to John C. Tune Airport and was preparing for a second when the crash occurred.

YMCA of Middle Tennessee's Senior Vice President of marketing & communications Jessica Fain estimated about 300 people were inside the facility at the time of the crash.

No one on the ground was hurt, but 16 cars in the parking lot were damaged. The cars have not been allowed to be moved as they were part of the crash site, but Fain said Metro Nashville Police plan to notify owners when they can come pick up their car.

The Y has been closed since the crash happened on Monday, and Fain said they will not reopen until Metro Police do a final walk-through of the facility. That final walk-through is expected to take place Thursday morning.

Members can check the YMCA website, facebook page or mobile app for updates on an opening time.

"I  think people are ready to get back. This Y is a community. It's more than that building and I think it'll be good for people to see the people that they always see and foster those relationships that they normally nurture when they're here at the Y and I think that'll be part of the healing process," said Fain.

Some YMCA employees were allowed back in the facility this afternoon to get the building ready to reopen.  

Structural engineers inspected the facility and found no damage as a result of the crash.

Lori Gibson, a spokeswoman for the family killed in the crash, said Glenn Mull owned Mull Farms and Feeding in Pawnee Rock, about 15 miles southwest of Great Bend.

According to the flight-tracking website FlightAware, the plane traveled from Clarence E. Page Municipal Airport in Oklahoma City to Great Bend around midday before heading for Nashville.

Gibson said the family "is in the process of coming to terms with the shock of this loss" while also trying to address the needs of Mull's employees and the community.

Friends of the victims said the Mull family is well known in the beef industry. Dee Likes, the vice president of the Kansas Livestock Association, said he had known Glenn Mull for years.

"They were very well known and a very well respected family, and had been involved in the industry for many, many years," said Likes.

Past Story:



(The Associated Press Contributed To This Report.)