4 Members Of Kansas Family Killed In Bellevue Plane Crash

4 Members Of Kansas Family Killed In Bellevue Plane Crash

CREATED Feb 4, 2014

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – A small plane carrying four members of a Kansas family crashed Monday night outside the Bellevue YMCA, killing all on board.

The crash happened just before 5 p.m. Monday at 8101 Highway 100 in an area behind the Bellevue YMCA.

On Tuesday morning, Metro Police identified the victims as pilot 62-year-old Glenn Mull and his 63-year-old wife Elaine, their daughter 40-year-old Amy Harter and 16-year-old granddaughter Samantha Harter.

Lori Gibson, a spokeswoman for the family, said Mull owned Mull Farms and Feeding in Pawnee Rock, about 15 miles southwest of Great Bend.

They were traveling to the National Cattlemen's Beef Association Trade Show in Nashville when their Gulfstream 690C crashed Monday while trying to land 10 miles south of John C. Tune Airport in Nashville, where it was scheduled to land around 5 p.m. They had taken off from the Great Bend Municipal Airport.

According to the flight-tracking website FlightAware, the plane traveled from Clarence E. Page Municipal Airport in Oklahoma City to Great Bend around midday before heading for Nashville.

Gibson said the family "is in the process of coming to terms with the shock of this loss" while also trying to address the needs of Mull's employees and the community.

Friends of the victims said the Mull family is well known in the beef industry.  Dee Likes, the vice president of the Kansas Livestock Association said he had known Glenn Mull for years.

 "They were very well known and a very well respected family, and had been involved in the industry for many, many years," said Likes.

PHOTOS: Images from the scene

Metro Police said the plane missed its first approach to John Tune and was preparing for a second when the crash occurred.

On Tuesday morning, Nashville firefighters were called back to the scene to put out a flare up at the crash site. Metro Nashville Police were on hand using laser equipment to help diagram the crash.

Metro Nashville Fire District Chief George Hickey described the scene on the ground as "a totally devastated area." Wreckage and debris was spread over 80 yards.

An eyewitness told fire officials the plane made a hard right bank and then hit the ground.  

Chief Hickey pointed out the pilot, Glen Mull, was able to miss hitting any homes or buildings in the highly populated area-- saving lives in the process.

Firefighters were able to quickly get the plane's fire under control and put out. 

YMCA of Middle Tennessee's Senior Vice President of marketing & communications, Jessica Fain, said the building was evacuated.

Fain said around 300 people were inside at the time. No one there was injured but some cars in the parking lot were damaged.  

The Y will be closed until investigators give them the authorization to reopen. That could take up to two days.

Several people in the area saw the plane come down. 

"My son, Jay, was coming to the Y and he said he looked up and an aircraft came out of the clouds and went directly into the ground," said Jeff Russell.

After hearing the initial crash, many tried to get a closer look at what happened.

Chris McKee was nearby at the time, heard the initial crash, and then saw the aftermath.

"It was white smoke at first, then broke out into flames, it was awful, it was awful," said McKee.

While disbelief settled in, witnesses like Molly O'Connor said they still can't believe what they saw.

"The realization set in once you saw the smoke, it was an airplane, you wouldn't think that would happen. You wouldn't think you would witness something like that."

Officials with the National Transportation Safety Board arrived on the scene Tuesday morning to conduct its investigation. 

(The Associated Press Contributed To This Report.)