Judge Denies New Trial For Lindsey Lowe
GALLATIN, Tenn. – A judge has denied a retrial for the Sumner County woman convicted of killing her newborn twins.
On Friday morning, Criminal Court Judge Dee David Gay refused to grant a new trial for Lindsey Lowe, who was sentenced last year to at least 51 years in prison after she was convicted of felony murder, premeditated murder and aggravated child abuse.
The murder charges carried automatic life sentences, which means she will serve a minimum of 51 years in prison.
"This is kind of the first step in going to the Appellate Court," said John Pellegrin, one of Lowe's attorneys.
The defense offered 27 reasons Lowe deserves a retrial. They felt like police didn't properly tell Lowe of her Miranda rights, and statements she made to police should not have been admitted.
The case will now go to the Tennessee Court of Appeals.
After the hearing, Lowe was allowed to spend some time with family members who attended the court session. She was shackled before being led back to a private, secured room.
Sumner County District Attorney General Ray Whitley called the case one of the saddest he's ever prosecuted.
"We have a young woman,
26-years-old, that chose to sacrifice her two totally healthy little baby boys
for her reputation. She traded her babies for her reputation. We proved that at
trial and the jury found her guilty," Whitley said.
Evidence showed infants Mark Alvin Michael Lowe and Paul Duvoll Tate Lowe only lived five minutes after birth. Each baby boy died of suffocation, yet autopsies found them to each otherwise be healthy.
Police said Lowe killed her newborn twins right after birth and then placed their bodies in a laundry basket in her room at her family's home in Hendersonville. Her mother found one of the babies two days later, and her father called police.
Lowe is being held at the maximum security Tennessee Prison for Women on Stewarts Lane in the Bordeaux area. The Tennessee Prison for Women is the state's primary corrections facility for women convicted in felony cases.
- April 26, 2013: Lindsey Lowe Apologizes During Sentencing Hearing
- March 25, 2013: Lindsey Lowe Transferred Into State Custody
- March 21, 2013: Exclusive: Jury Foreman Speaks Out On Lowe Trial
- March 20, 2013: Lindsey Lowe Found Guilty Of Murder In Deaths Of Newborn Twins
- March 18, 2013: Defense Rests Case In Lindsey Lowe Murder Trial
- March 15, 2013: Testimony: Lowe Searched For Pregnancy Info Days Before Giving Birth
- March 14, 2013: Lowe Scolded For Outburst; Defense Accuses Father Of Rape
- March 13, 2013: Dramatic Day In Court For Mother Accused Of Killing Twin Newborns
- March 12, 2013: Jurors To Watch Videotaped Questioning Of Lowe On Day 2 of Trial
- March 12, 2013: Trial Underway For Woman Accused Of Killing Newborns
- March 11, 2013: Jury Seated For Woman Accused Of Killing Twins
- March 7, 2013: Lindsey Lowe Appears In Court Ahead Of Murder Trial
- Feb. 27, 2013: NewsChannel 5 Obtains Copy Of Lindsey Lowe's Entire Confession
- Feb. 26, 2013: Judge Rules Confession Will Be Allowed At Lowe Murder Trial
- Feb. 25, 2013: Legal Strategy For Woman Accused Of Killing Newborn Twins
- Dec. 11, 2012: Judge Again Rules Lindsey Lowe's Confession Admissible
- Nov. 30, 2012: Lindsey Lowe's Attorneys Ask For Change Of Venue For Trial
- May 17, 2012: Trial Date Set For Woman Accused Of Killing Twins
- Nov. 18, 2011: Attorney For Lindsey Lowe Enters Not Guilty Plea
- Nov. 10, 2011: State Will Not Seek Death Penalty Against Lindsey Lowe
- Nov. 4, 2011: Lindsey Lowe Remains On Bond After Valium Use
- Oct. 25, 2011: Lindsey Lowe Case Bound Over For Grand Jury
- Sep. 27, 2011: Private Funeral Held Sunday For Newborn Twins
- Sep. 22, 2011: Vigil For Family Of Mom Accused Of Killing Newborns
- Sep. 21, 2011: Help Sought For Woman Charged With Killing Twins
- Sep. 20, 2011: Woman Accused Of Killing Twins Released On Bond
- Sep. 19, 2011: Bond Set For Mother Accused Of Killing Infant Twins
- Sep. 17, 2011: DA Fights to Keep Mother of Dead Twins in Jail
- Sep. 15, 2011: Police: Mother Admitted To Killing Twin Newborn Boys
- Sep. 14, 2011: Mother Charged After Newborn Twins Found Dead In Home