Firefighters Battle Fires In Extreme Cold Temperatures
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Firefighters across the mid-state have been busy over the last couple of days braving the cold while battling blazes at numerous homes and businesses.
Firefighters had to break down the front door of Bailey's Pub & Grille on Broadway in downtown Nashville around 6:30 a.m. Tuesday due to a small fire inside the building. It set off the sprinklers, sending water out into the street.
Another fire broke out early Tuesday morning on McDavid Street in Gallatin. The owner told NewsChannel 5 the fire started in a bedroom.
He was able to get out, but his dog didn't make it. Fire officials haven't said how the fire started.
An antique store in Wilson County was destroyed by fire around midnight Monday. A viewer said he was on his way home from work when he spotted the store on Highway 231 in Vine.
No word on what sparked the blaze or if anyone was injured.
And in Hendersonville, firefighters had to battle a blaze at a home in the 400 block of Cumberland Hills Drive.
The fire started sometime before 9 p.m. Monday. It was unclear if anyone was home at the time, or if anyone was injured. The cause of the fire is under investigation.
The fire was reported on Glen Oaks Drive just after 6 p.m. Monday. Officials said the fire started in the basement of the home and quickly spread.
A family of seven lived in the home. They were not there at the time, but arrived home shortly after. A family dog did not make it out.
The displaced family is now being helped by friends and the American Red Cross.
It is still unclear what sparked the massive blaze.
House fires are more prevalent in winter than in any other season. Officials said it is because many people turn to their fireplaces, woodstoves and space heaters to keep warm.
Some tips include checking chimneys and fireplaces, and keeping space heaters three feet away from anything flammable. Never leave any of those unattended.