Loading...

Weather Alerts 37 View »

Family Loses Home To Fire As Temperature Hovers In Single Digits

Family Loses Home To Fire As Temperature Hovers In Single Digits

CREATED Jan 7, 2014

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - A house fire in Donelson Monday night left several people without a home on one of the coldest nights of the year.

The fire was reported on Glen Oaks Drive just after 6 p.m. Monday. Officials said the fire started in the basement of the home and quickly spread.

A family of seven lived in the home. They were not there at the time, but arrived home shortly after. A family dog did not make it out.

Sean Webster lived in the home and told NewsChannel 5 that he lost every artwork he's ever completed along with everything his grandfather ever gave him.

The displaced family is now being helped by friends and the American Red Cross.

It is still unclear what sparked the massive blaze.

The single digit temperatures made putting out the fire difficult for Metro Firefighters. The nozzles of the hoses were freezing up. Firefighters also traded out shifts to avoid getting frostbite.

"It make it difficult, due to ice, condition, possibility of hypothermia, we have a lot of complications in a fire like this," said Assistant Fire Chief Chuck Hoover.