Summer Picnic Ideas from Weight Watchers
Photo: Video by nbc26.com
Green Bay--Weight Watchers stopped by NBC26 Today with some great easy and healthy summer picnic recipes.
Easy Italian White Bean Dip
- 19 oz canned cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice, or less to taste
- 1 tsp lemon zest, finely grated, or less to taste*
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1/4 cup(s) store-bought pesto sauce
- 1 medium plum tomato(es), diced, divided
Put beans, lemon juice, lemon zest, water and salt in a food processor or blender; process until smooth. Scrape mixture into a serving bowl; stir in pesto and all but 2 tablespoons of tomato. Refrigerate about 30 minutes for flavors to blend. To serve, remove dip from refrigerator and let come to room temperature; sprinkle with remaining tomato. Yields about 3 1/2 tablespoons per serving.
Turkey, Apple and Blue Cheese Wrap
- 1 Tbsp blue cheese, softened
- 1 Tbsp fat-free cream cheese, softened
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, freshly ground (or to taste)
- 1 medium whole wheat tortilla(s), warmed according to package directions
- 1/2 cup(s) arugula, baby leaves
- 1/2 medium fresh apple(s), diced
- 2 oz cooked light meat turkey chopped or diced
In a small cup, mash together blue cheese, cream cheese and pepper with a fork; spread onto tortilla. Top tortilla with arugula, apple and turkey, leaving about 1-inch of space from edges; tuck in sides of tortilla and then roll it up tightly (slice in half, if desired). Yields 1 wrap per serving.
Mojito-Style Melon Salad
- 2 cup(s) honeydew melon, diced
- 2 cup(s) (diced) cantaloupe, diced
- 3 Tbsp sugar, divided
- 2 tsp lime zest, freshly grated
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp mint leaves, fresh, slivered
In a medium bowl, combine honeydew, cantaloupe, 2 tablespoons of sugar, lime zest and juice, and slivered mint. Refrigerate 15 minutes, tossing occasionally, until sugar dissolves and mixture is well chilled.
When ready to serve, spread remaining tablespoon of sugar onto a flat plate. Pour a little water into a shallow bowl and dip rim of each of 4 wine or martini glasses into water; press wet rims into sugar to coat edge of each glass. Spoon 1 cup of fruit mixture into each glass; garnish with mint sprigs. Yields 1 cup per serving.
- 1 cup (8 fl oz) dry red table wine
- 3 cups (24 fl oz) low-calorie cold cranberry juice cocktail
- 2 cups strawberries, chopped
- 2 medium fresh apples, chopped
- ⅛ tsp ground cinnamon, or to taste
Stir together all ingredients in a large pitcher; allow to stand for 30 minutes. Place ice in glasses and serve. Yields about ¾ cup per serving.