Spring is in the Air
Photo: Video by nbc26.com
Green Bay--Mulberry Lane Farms brought us in some baby chicks this morning as a sure sign that Spring is on the way.
Mulberry Lane Farm
- It takes 21 days for a chick to hatch from the egg.
- Chicks use their "egg tooth" (found on the top of their beak) to peck their way
out of the egg.
- Within 12 to 24 hours after the chick hatches the egg tooth will dry and fall off.
- Hens lay one egg a day.
- You can tell the color egg the hen will lay by the color of their earlobe. White
earlobe-white egg. Red earlobe - brown, blue or green egg.
- There is NO more nutritional value in a brown egg over the white egg.
- Unlike popular belief, roosters can and will crow anytime of day.
- Some roosters crow more than others. Just like humans, some are more
- A rooster must be present in the hen house to have fertilized eggs.
- The eggs we purchase in the store have not been fertilized and therefore
would never & could never produce chicks.