Expect Major Changes At I-44/Range Line in Joplin
Drivers can expect reduced and narrowed lanes on Range Line Road underneath I-44 beginning Wednesday, July 10, as crews work toward converting the interchange to the Diverging Diamond Interchange design the weekend of July 19.
Release from MoDOT:
Joplin, Newton County -- Starting and running through July 21, drivers can expect significant traffic disruptions at Interstate 44 and Range Line Road in Joplin (Mile Marker 11) as part of the ongoing interchange reconstruction project, the Missouri Department of Transportation said.
However, when the major work is completed and all lanes of Range Line Road are open and all I-44 ramps are open, the interchange will be in its more free-flowing -- and safer -- Diverging Diamond Interchange configuration.
What to Expect:
* Closing of one northbound lane of Range Line Road -- Wednesday, July 10, through . Two southbound lanes will remain open during this period.
* Periodic closing of ramps connecting Range Line Road and I-44 -- through .
* Closing of all lanes of Range Line Road underneath I-44 -- -Sunday, July 20-21, and possibly into early morning hours of .
Keep in Mind:
* MoDOT will strive to maintain traffic flow as much as possible at the interchange and open up lanes and ramps as quickly as possible after the necessary construction work is completed.
* Joplin's many city streets and state routes through town that intersect Range Line Road and adjacent interchanges on I-44 will enable drivers negotiate around the construction and reach the many businesses along Range Line Road. However, travel into and out of the I-44/Range Line Road area will take a few minutes longer than everyone would like.
* MoDOT asks drivers to have alternate routes in mind and to be patient and courteous during this two-week period of intensive construction and traffic disruption at I-44 and Range Line Road.
Closing of Range Line Road
All lanes of Range Line Road will be closed underneath I-44 -Saturday, July 20-21.
This is required to complete the work needed to convert Range Line Road to its new Diverging Diamond Interchange configuration -- expected to open to traffic late or early .
For a Quick Preview
The Diverging Diamond Interchange design on Range Line Road will shift traffic to the left-hand side of the road underneath I-44.
How will the design work?
Project Facts & Figures
The I-44/Range Line Road reconstruction project includes replacing 1960s-era I-44 bridges over Range Line Road, replacing cloverleaf ramps with straight, directional ramps, adding an extra left-turn lane on the two I-44 off-ramps and adding new traffic signals on Range Line Road.
Prime contractor: Emery Sapp & Sons, Columbia. Construction cost: $8 million. Completion: December 2013.