MoDOT/Winter Travel Advisory: For Wed. Afternoon/Evening, February 20
Information from edited news release . . . .
Weather Forecast: A wintry mix of sleet, freezing rain and snow is expected to begin falling in extreme southwest Missouri by early afternoon on Wednesday. Also, windy conditions are possible with the winter storm.
Travel Conditions: Roads may become slick in many parts of southwest Missouri during the early afternoon into evening hours. Conditions on roadways will deteriorate as the storm travels through southwest Missouri. Also, with icy conditions and high winds, ice-covered trees and power lines may fall into area roadways. Roads may become impassable if trees and power lines fall into the roadway.
Road Clearing: MoDOT workers will be on duty as the storm approaches and will begin treating and plowing roads as conditions deteriorate. They will have chainsaws and will try to clear roads of tree debris as best as quickly as possible. However, they will not be able to remove downed power lines and will have to rely on local power companies to respond to these areas.
Icy Weather Driving Tips:
* Buckle up.
* Adjust your speed to conditions. You may not be able to see ice on the road.
* Be alert for road conditions that may change as you drive.
* Do NOT drive over downed utility lines. Assume every downed line is an electrical line.
* Don't tailgate.
* Focus on driving and avoid distractions.
* Keep your windshield and other windows clear to help you see.
* Stay at least 100 feet behind a truck plowing/salting the road.
Road Condition Information:
* MoDOT Customer Service: 1-888-275-6636
* MoDOT Traveler Information map: http://maps.modot.mo.gov/timi/