Loading...

Weather Alerts 1 View »

Springfield House Fires Sparked By Space Heaters

Springfield House Fires Sparked By Space Heaters

By Mike Morgan. CREATED Jan 18, 2013

Three house fires in Springfield this past week were sparked by space heaters. The fire department's Life Safety  Educator Cara Erwin tells KTTS News one was caused by an unattended heater in the garage, two others are blamed on an overloaded electrical system.

Experts recommend plugging the unit directly into the wall because most extension cords are not rated for that amount of power. Make sure the heater has an emergency shut off in case it tips over and keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from the unit.

Mike Morgan

Mike Morgan

Email Twitter
With a background in media, Mike brings more than 35 years broadcast experience to the 24-hour News Team. Mike also provides the Ozarks with the afternoon Go-Patrol traffic report