Loading...

Weather Alerts 21 View »

Garth Brooks announces Sept. 4 tour launch in Chicago

Trisha Yearwood and Garth Brooks perform during Playin' Possum! The Final No Show Tribute To George Jones - Show at Bridgestone Arena on November 22, 2013 in Nashville, Tennessee. (Photo by Terry Wyatt/Getty Images) Photo: Image by Getty Images

Garth Brooks announces Sept. 4 tour launch in Chicago

By Phyllis Stark. CREATED Jul 15, 2014

At a press conference last week, Garth Brooks announced plans for a world tour. On Tuesday morning, he revealed that it will kick off September 4 in at Allstate Arena in Rosemont, Illinois. It will be the first time Garth has performed in the Chicago area in 17 years. 

As expected, Garth will be joined on the tour by wife Trisha Yearwood. In an interview with Billboard, he generously positioned it as a co-headlining situation.
 
"The tour is going to be Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood," he told Billboard, "so you get to run the planet with your best friend playing music, while your girls are healthy, thank God, and they're living their life finding their path. It's a pretty cool place to be in right now."
 
In his July 15 tour announcement, Garth said, “As an entertainer, you get asked a lot ‘What are the best cities to play?’ Without hesitation, I rattle five or six of the best places to play and that list always includes Chicago. It is the perfect city to launch the World Tour.”
 
Tickets go on sale July 25 at 10:00 AM (CST) at Ticketmaster. In last week’s press conference, Garth said he was “proud” of how low his team had managed to keep the ticket prices for this tour. Tickets will cost $56.94 plus $2.56 tax plus $6.00 service charges, totaling $65.50.
 
No additional tour dates or cities have been revealed.
 
In related news, attempts to salvage his five Dublin concerts scheduled for later this month have failed, and the controversial shows have now been permanently cancelled. Earlier this month, the Dublin City Council refused permission for two of the five shows at Croke Park after 400,000 tickets had already been sold.
 
On Monday, Garth released the following statement expressing his disappointment in the failure of the Ireland shows to go forward.
 
"I have always been advised to NEVER send a message in ‘the moment.’ It is said it is best to take a walk, wait awhile, and think about it. With that said, I just received the news the Dublin City Council cannot change their earlier ruling to not allow the licenses for all five shows. To say I am crushed is an understatement. All I see is my mother’s face and I hear her voice. She always said things happen for a reason and for the right reason. As hard as I try, I cannot see the light on this one. So it is with a broken heart I announce the ticket refunds for the event will go as posted by TicketMaster.
 
“I want to thank the Irish authorities for going the distance for all of us who wanted to share songs and dance together,” his statement continued. “I really want to thank all the people around the world that continued to think good thoughts that this would actually happen. Most of all, to [concert promoter] Peter Aiken and those 400,000 people who believed enough to go through what they have been through to get to this point … I love you, always have, always will. I encourage any and all of them that can come see the show, at some point around the world, to bring your Irish flags and wave them proudly at the concerts.I will be looking for you.”
 
Phyllis Stark

Phyllis Stark

Email Facebook Twitter
Phyllis Stark is the Digital Executive Producer - National Content for Journal Broadcast Group.