CONSUMER ALERT: Dangers of pork
(KTNV) -- A new Consumer Reports study released on Tuesday says it found a high rate of contamination in pork chops and pork.
The contamination is caused by a bacteria called Yersinia enterocolitica. The study found that 10,000 Americans get sick from it each year.
Children are most likely to be sickened by contaminated pork.
Consumer Reports found that nearly 70 percent of pork samples have the dangerous bacteria on it.
Cooking the pork thoroughly does kill it. However, be careful. Just like salmonella, it can easily be spread to the surfaces of your kitchen before the meat is ever cooked.