Loading...

Weather Alerts 3 View »

Washoe County school boss sues over ouster

Play

Photo: Video by ktnv.com

Washoe County school boss sues over ouster

CREATED Jul 25, 2014

RENO, Nev. (AP) -- Washoe County School Superintendent Pedro Martinez is suing the school district over his ouster, and the Reno-Gazette Journal is asking the Nevada attorney general to investigate whether the school board violated the open-meetings law.

The school district's board of trustees issued a statement Tuesday announcing Martinez had been "relieved of his duties" effective immediately, then clarified a day later he had been placed on paid administrative leave pending any formal action.

The board plans to address the matter at a meeting next week.

Martinez says he was fired after an illegal, private meeting of six of the seven board members who accused him of lying about whether he was a certified public accountant, which he maintains he is. He filed a lawsuit in Washoe District Court on Friday alleging breach of contract.

Board member Howard Rosenberg is defending Martinez' removal. He says the public doesn't know the whole story.