Family speaks about food-borne illness outbreak in Moapa Valley
Photo: Video by ktnv.com
Moapa Valley, NV (KTNV) -- The Southern Nevada Health District is investigating what it believes is a food-borne gastrointestinal illness outbreak in the Moapa Valley area that has sickened dozens of people. Locals tell Action News, several of them have been hospitalized.
Doctors at the Logandale Quick Care Unit treated 85 people on Monday and Tuesday alone, and dozens continue to stream in. The systems are flu-like, which includes headaches and vomiting.
People in the town say residents became sick after a church potluck dinner was hosted on Saturday night. Locals say up to 200 people have fallen ill.
"It's been the worst week I've had. It's worse than childbirth, I think," says Logandale resident Wynette Bodily. Husband Kody Bodily says, "[We've had] pains, diarrhea, vomiting, fever, chills, shaking and aching all over." The family says they went to the hospital when the symptoms became severe, and each of their family members were re-hydrated with IV fluids.
On Thursday, an epidemiologist with the health district spoke to Action News about the situation and said its team believes this is a food-borne gastrointestinal illness, stemming from one of the dishes that was brought to the potluck dinner.
The health district cannot confirm the number of reported cases, but said this was an isolated outbreak and not contagious to the general public.
They will not be testing any of the foods that were eaten that night because they were tossed in the trash after the dinner wrapped up.
Logandale health crews tell Action news that sickened locals have been heading to Mesquite and St. George for medical treatment, since the Logandale Quick Care Unit is dealing with an influx of patients.
The exact number of reported cases will likely be released by the health district sometime early next week.