Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- Two residential fires on Thursday were the result of cooking, according to Las Vegas Fire & Rescue.
The first fire took place at 5:27 a.m. in an apartment in the 1400 block of North Sandhill Road. Flames and smoke were visible when firefighters arrived. They were able to put the fire out in a few minutes and investigators determined that a resident of the apartment was cooking with grease on the stove.
The resident sat down for a few minutes and fell asleep. The resident was woken up by the fire. Damage is estimated at $5,000 and the resident has been displaced.
The other fire was reported at 12:04 p.m. at a house in the 2300 block of Sixth Street.
According to LVFR, a teenager was at home alone and was cooking lunch. A pan on the stove caught fire and quickly grew. The teenager tried to take the burn pan outside but dropped it. The flaming liquid quickly spread to the patio drapes and grew. The teenager grabbed the family dog and ran from the house.
It took firefighters approximately 15 minutes to get the fire under control. The house was extensively damaged. The teenager was checked by paramedics for possible smoke inhalation. Hospitalization was not required. The damage has been estimated at $75,000. The family of three was displaced by the fire.
All of the residents will be assisted by the American Red Cross.
Cooking is the number one cause of house fires. LVFR said the best way to extinguish a pan fire on the stove is to turn off the stove and place something over then pan to cut off the oxygen supply to the fire. It is not advisable to try and move the pan. In nearly all of the cases, the pan is dropped, resulting in a much bigger problem. In addition, do not throw substances such as salt, sugar, flour or even water on the fire.