Unless you're living under a large rock, you've heard the word "twerk" used in conversation everywhere lately. You may even be slightly confused about what it means, who does it, and why so many people keep doing in on camera. To shed some light on this dancing mystery, here are 5 reasons "twerking" is knee deep in its 15 minutes of fame.
1. Before Miley Cyrus outraged the masses at the MTV VMAs, there was another who twerked at an awards show, Harry Styles from One Direction. He showed his stuff at the Teen Choice Awards in August when he was plucked out of the audience and forced to do a little dance. Even though it was brief, there was some definite twerkage.
2. No one can/will ever forget Cyrus' performance at the VMAs. She twerked on stage for two entire songs and shocked the nation with her provocative style. She forever solidified twerk's place in history, which leads us to number three.
3. Twerk is added to the dictionary. Just two days after Cyrus stunned the world, Oxford Dictionary Online added the verb to its collection. Check out Morgan Freeman reading the definition above.
4. If you haven't seen "Worst Twerk Fail EVER -- Girl Catches Fire" take a look. It shows what can happen when you twerk around fire. Despite the fact that the video was a huge viral success, it was all a prank done by the host of ABC's "Late Night with Jimmy Kimmel."
5. Lastly, since the popularity of "twerk" has skyrocketed recently, the word's Google searches 75 times what they were last year at this time proving that it has found a home pop culture. More twerk knowledge can be found on Elite Daily's "Twerkograph: The Twerking Infographic You Didn't Know You Needed."