Storm causes gas leak, dozens of residents evacuated
Atrium Gardens Condos Photo: Image by KTNV Photographer Chad Rodgers
Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- One of the places that was hit the hardest during Friday's storm was the Atrium Garden Condo complex.
It's located on Pecos Road between Washington and Bonanza.
At 7:40 p.m., fire dispatchers received several calls from residents in the complex of a strong odor of natural gas.
When crews arrived, they found that several trees had either snapped in half and fell onto some of the buildings, or they were blown over and uprooted.
The roots severed underground natural gas lines as they were uprooted. Utility and light poles were also knocked down.
As a precaution, all 300 units were evacuated because of the gas leak. Approximately 40 to 50 people were evacuated.
They were taken by Clark County School District buses to nearby Desert Pines High School, which was being used by the American Red Cross as an evacuation center for the displaced residents.
By 11 p.m., approximately 25 people had reported to the center, a few people kept trickling in as they came home and found their home damaged.
Southwest Gas workers shut the gas off to the complex by way of a main valve under the street. They said they would monitor the situation during the night.
They did not plan to repair the broken lines in the complex until trees were removed and damage repaired.