Report: Man told detective, wife that he was taking vehicle before shooting

Joyce Lupiani

Photo: Video by ktnv.com

Report: Man told detective, wife that he was taking vehicle before shooting

CREATED Aug. 15, 2013

Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- Details have been released about the shooting last week at the Excalibur Hotel & Casino on the Las Vegas Strip involving a Las Vegas police officer.

According to the report, it was the wife of the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department detective that first encountered the man in her vehicle.

Bernard Plaskett and his wife and teenage son were at the Excalibur to meet family members.

After the family had exited their vehicle to talk to family members, Patience Plaskett saw a man get in.

She told the man, who was later identified as Saul Villegas, to get out three times. According to her, Villegas told her that he was going to take the vehicle and ordered her to get in.

Patience says that she saw Villegas reach for something so she summoned her husband, telling him that she thought Villegas had a gun.

Bernard also ordered Villegas to exit the vehicle. Villegas allegedly told Bernard that he was taking the vehicle and made no effort to get out or put his hands on the steering wheel.

In a Friday afternoon press conference, Undersheriff Jim Dixon said "Detective Plaskett began ordering Villegas out of the vehicle shouting 'law enforcement let me see your hands.'"  

It was after this that Villegas again made a reaching movement. At that time, Bernard fired into the vehicle.
 
After shooting Villegas in the lower left arm, the man exited the vehicle. Excalibur security then took him into custody.

Villegas was transported to University Medical Center. He was not arrested at that time.

Detectives interviewed Villegas on Aug. 13 at the hospital. Police say that Villegas admitted to them that he wanted to steal the vehicle and take it for a ride. Detectives noticed that his mental capacity was clearly diminished but he was able to understand detectives and knew that stealing was wrong.

Villegas' family told Action News in an earlier interview that he was injured in a car accident several years ago and is now mentally and physically disabled.

Villegas was released from UMC at about 4:15 Aug. 14. At that time he was transported to Clark County Detention Center and booked on the charge of Attempt Grand Larceny Auto.

In a statement to Action News, Villegas family said he was released on bail Friday and will begin treatment on his left arm at a Los Angeles rehab facility for the next 100 days.

Loading...