Man in underwear shot by police on Tuesday has died
The suspect in an officer-involved shooting has died from his injuries.Photo: Video by ktnv.com
Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- The man that was shot by Las Vegas police officers Tuesday night after a bizarre standoff has died.
The incident began around 5 p.m. Tuesday when a homeowner discovered a man only in his underwear in his home near Pebble Lane and Las Vegas Boulevard South watching television.
The homeowner called 911.
When officers arrived, the 35-year-old man refused to come out of the house and armed himself with a butcher knife and a hammer.
Several hours later, SWAT entered the home. That was when the man attempted to attack them.
Police say that they tried to subdue the man in other ways, including using a Taser, before being forced to shoot.
The man was transported to University Medical Center. It is not clear if he died Tuesday night or Wednesday morning.
People who live near the scene said they were forced out of their homes for hours during the standoff. They said the man was in their yards before breaking into their neighbor's home.
Authorities said the man had been reported missing by his wife earlier in the day.
The Clark County Coroner will release the name of the deceased after relatives have been notified.
The names of the officers involved are released 48 hours after the initial incident. Police officers involved in a shooting are automatically placed on administrative leave.