Weather Alerts 1 View »

Norovirus fact sheet given to hotel guests after 18 people hospitalized

Jacqui Heinrich

Play

Photo: Video by ktnv.com

Norovirus fact sheet given to hotel guests after 18 people hospitalized

By Jacqui Heinrich. CREATED Nov 29, 2013

Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- The Southern Nevada Health District is working to find out what caused a widespread outbreak of a gastrointestinal illness at the Rio hotel-casino, where it is affecting people in town for a youth football tournament. 

According to SNHD's communications officer Jorge Viote, the agency's epidemiologist held a meeting Friday night among parents and coaches where they passed out a fact sheet on the norovirus.

The fact sheet says, "The infectious period begins with onset of symptoms and usually ceases three days after symptoms are gone, however, some people are still infectious two weeks after their symptoms have ended." The fact sheet also states the norovirus cannot be treated with antibiotics.

Health District officials told Action News late Friday night that the cause of the illness is still undetermined and the investigation is ongoing, but they gathered coaches and parents to try to learn more.

So far, 18 people have been hospitalized and at least 40 are sick, but people at the meeting told Action News that more than 100 have fallen ill. 

Nearly two dozen people were transported from the Rio to the hospital by the Clark County Fire Department after reporting flu-like symptoms on Friday. Friday afternoon, hotel spokesperson Celena Hass told Action News, "The Rio is working closely with CCFD to determine the cause."

In the meantime, the Health District continues to investigate. Reported symptoms include nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. To see the Health District's fact sheet, click here.

 

 

Jacqui Heinrich

Jacqui Heinrich

Email Facebook Twitter
Jacqui Heinrich is currently a general assignment reporter for Action News.