Weather Alerts 3 View »

Family of tourist shot, killed by police prepares to head to court

Spencer Lubitz

Photo: Video by ktnv.com

Family of tourist shot, killed by police prepares to head to court

CREATED Aug. 30, 2013

Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- He was found in a complete stranger's home wearing nothing but his underwear. Now the family of a tourist shot and killed by police says they want to know why Las Vegas police had to use fatal force and they say they're not afraid to go to court to get to the answers their looking for.

When police found 36-year-old Southaly Ketmany inside the home at Pebble and Las Vegas Boulevard, he had been separated from his friends for a couple days. Officers say the Sacramento resident was armed with knife and refused to leave the home.

In their report, Las Vegas Metropolitan Police says they used several non-lethal methods to force Ketmany out of the house. But, nothing worked.  They say Ketmany then charged at officers before he was shot several times.

His ex-wife Kim Reroma, who flew in from Sacramento and witnessed the SWAT negotiations, questions the accuracy of the police report.  Reroma believes officers may have deviated from the plan and fired too soon.

“There's some missing pieces to this puzzle.  I was there at the scene and it totally doesn't match to what their putting out,” Reroma said.
 
Ketmany’s returned to Las Vegas to begin the process of filing a wrongful death lawsuit against the Metropolitan Police Department.

“All this violence with Metro is crazy, and that's what we're here for, we're here to put up a fight, we want answers.” Said Reroma.

LVMPD did not call us back for a comment on this story, but at an earlier news conference the department said they're not ruling out the possibility that Ketmany was indeed drugged

The results of a toxicology report and the coroner's official cause of death are both still pending.

Loading...