Dirty Dining: Swish
Photo: Video by ktnv.com
Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- For the second week in a row, there's a sushi restaurant topping the Dirty Dining list. They were just three demerits shy of shutdown. This time, they're not blaming the Southern Nevada Health District for being too strict. They tell Contact 13 Chief Investigator Darcy Spears it's all their fault.
Swish is a Japanese hot pot restaurant on West Sahara near Durango. They serve up sushi and shabu shabu. But health inspectors served them up with a 38 demerit C grade. Action News stopped by the restaurant. Inspectors found improper handwashing and employees making sushi without gloves. Potentially hazardous foods like rice, salmon, and tuna were not at proper tempartures. Food wasn't protected from contamination because they stored raw chicken above raw pork and raw fish above ready to eat foods.
When we stopped by, the manager didn't want to go on camera. He did answer our questions, like why inspectors found a foreign object in the panko mixture. Panko is a Japanese style breadcrumb used as a coating for deep fried foods.
The report noted there was a rubber band in the panko. The manager apologized and accepted full responsibility for that and other things he said shouldn't have happened. He says they're making changes to ensure none of what they were docked for ever happens again. Things like kitchenware and food contact surfaces that were not properly washed, a peeler that was dirty with built up food residue.
The slider was dirty with food debris.
"It was just one little piece of meat," asked Darcy.
He's right about that. A little but of meat in the Health District's photo was written up as a major violation. Swish was also using a knife with a broken handle and a chipped wooden spoon.
"You had a knife holder stored on the floor," said Darcy.
The storage bins for utensils were dirty and the floor sink was dirty with back-up residue. Inspectors also say the person in charge couldn't answer basic questions about food safety.
"So your head chef was off, but you guys know whoever is in charge always has to have all of that food safety knowledge. Because even when your head chef's not here, you still have to protect your customers from food borne illness.
He says they're educating their employees and working toward getting their A grade back.
Another Valley restaurant was shut down due to a roach infestation, but surprisingly, it didn't have as many demerits as Swish.