Loading...

Weather Alerts 1 View »

Cooking fire sends elderly man to the hospital

Photo: Image by Las Vegas Fire & Rescue

Cooking fire sends elderly man to the hospital

By Krista Hostetler. CREATED Aug 21, 2014

A cooking fire sent one elderly man to the hospital and caused extensive damage to his home just after noon on Wednesday.

The man is suffering from minor smoke inhalation. One pet dog was not able to escape the burning home and died.

The fire has been ruled accidental.

Fire dispatchers received a number of calls that a house at 332 Arnold Street had heavy smoking coming from the rear of the house.

When firefighters arrived they found thick smoke coming from the rear of the house. As they went to the rear of the house, they found an elderly man attempting to leave the house through a back patio door. The man was using a crutch and was having difficulty.

Firefighters got him out of the house and because of the thickness of the smoke he was immediately taken to the hospital. He was able to talk to firefighters as they were taking him to the hospital.

The man was being checked out for smoke only and was not burned by the fire.

Firefighters went into the house and put the fire out in about ten minutes. The fire gutted the kitchen, the dining room and heavily damaged the living room. It also got into the attic of the house.

Heat and smoke damage was present throughout the rest of the one story house. Damage was estimated at $79,000.

The man told fire investigators at the hospital that he was cooking with cooking grease and it caught fire. He was unable to put the fire out.

Krista Hostetler

Krista Hostetler

Email Twitter
Krista Hostetler is currently the Senior Web Editor for ktnv.com and KTNV Mobile.