The Clark County School District is adding seven new Magnet programs and five Select School options for the 2015-16 school year.
Another four Magnet programs will be added for the 2016-17 school year.
This expansion was discussed at Wednesday's work session of the Board of School Trustees. It will create more opportunities and choices for students, as well as help address overcrowding in some schools, drawing students to less-crowded schools with Magnet programs.
Each Magnet school offers learning opportunities related to specific themes for students.
In the 2014-15 school year, more than 16,679 students applied to a Magnet school or a Career and Technical Academy, while there were only 5,724 seats were available. It is estimated that the seven new Magnet programs for the 2015-16 school year will add an additional 3,500 seats.
The new Select Schools program will give high school students the chance to attend non-Magnet schools in CCSD that offer specialized programs of study in career and technical education (CTE), Advanced Placement (AP) course options and other unique program offerings. The Select Schools will also add an estimated 1,300 additional high school seats that will support greater choice for students who want to participate in CTE and AP courses.
A full list of the new programs is below.
As an added benefit of this expansion, it is anticipated that these new Magnet programs and Select Schools will also serve to mitigate some of the current overcrowding at schools.
To view the application criteria for Magnet schools, click here. Eligibility for transportation for these new programs will be based upon defined geographic transportation zones for each school.
Applications will be accepted in spring 2015 for these Magnet programs that will start in the 2015-16 school year:
- Gordon McCaw Elementary School - Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) Academy
- Clarence Piggott Elementary School - International Baccalaureate program
- Walter Johnson Middle School - International Baccalaureate program
- Thurman White Middle School - Performing Arts Academy
- Kenny C. Guinn Middle School - Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) Academy
- Del Sol High School - Performing Arts Academy
- Eldorado High School - Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) Academy
Applications will be accepted in spring 2016 for these International Baccalaureate Magnet programs that will start in the 2016-17 school year:
- Sheila R.Tarr Elementary School
- Mahlon B. Brown Junior High School
- Basic High School
- Spring Valley High School
The following Select Schools will offer AP programs and CTE programs, plus other themes as listed below, starting with the 2015-16 school year (applications will be accepted in spring 2015):
- Bonanza High School - AP and CTE
- Chaparral High School - AP and CTE
- Mojave High School - AP, CTE and Project Lead the Way Engineering
- Silverado High School - AP, CTE and National Academy Foundation in Finance and Information Technology
- Western High School - AP, CTE and Project Lead the Way Biomedical
For additional information regarding Magnet/CTA programs or Select Schools, click here or call (702) 799-8492.