Arrrrgh! It's National Talk Like a Pirate Day
Photo: Video by ktnv.com
Grab your eye patch, peg leg your best parrot because it's Talk Like a Pirate Day. This unofficial holiday gives everyone the right to talk like swash bucklers all day long.
Mental Floss even has a few facts about Talk Like a Pirate Day to keep you abreast of the rich history behind it. Here are the best:
1. Facebook and Google will both let you set your language to "pirate" because of the popularity of the day.
2. Talk Like a Pirate Day was once celebrated on the International Space Station.
3. The original date for TLPD was on Dec. 5, but it was decided that Sept. 19 would be better (since Dec. 5 is already known as the actual holiday Veteran's Day.)
4. Dave Berry is to thank for turning TLPD into a "global sensation"
5. The inventor of the day was on a "pirate themed" episode of "Wife Swap" with his family.
As if the day couldn't get any more fun, Krispy Kreme is giving away free doughnuts to anyone that speaks like a pirate to them in the stores. So set sail for the nearest Krispy Kreme for some not-so-buried treasure.