Woman in garage apartment dies after early-morning fire

Denise Wong

Photo: Video by ktnv.com

Woman in garage apartment dies after early-morning fire

CREATED Sep. 27, 2013

UPDATE: The woman killed by the fire has been identified as 28-year-old Carmen Salomon of Las Vegas. Her official cause of death is still pending.

Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- A woman was killed early Friday morning after a fire broke out at a residence on Brenner Way, near Bonanza Road and Lamb Boulevard.

The woman who was killed was staying in a converted garage apartment.

Fire officials said they got the call just before 1:30 a.m. from a child that lives in the house.

According to officials, a grandmother and three children in the main house were alerted by a smoke alarm.

They attempted to get into the garage, which had been converted into a living space, but were unable to do so because the door was locked.

Upon arrival, firefighters attempted to cut through the garage door but a wall had been built behind it. They were also blocked by a security bar on the door to the garage apartment.

They were eventually able to remove the security bar and enter the living space. Inside, they found a woman in her 20s unconscious on the floor.

Attempts were made to revive the woman before she was transported to University Medical Center. She was later pronounced dead from smoke inhalation at UMC.

Firefighters say the tragic accident should serve as a reminder to residents that security doors can prevent you from getting out of homes in emergency situations.

They also say you should check with the building department before putting up any additional walls in your home.

Las Vegas Fire and Rescue spokesperson Tim Szymanski says the fire appears to be accidental. Smoking material and candles were found in the residence.

There was no smoke alarm in the apartment.

The American Red Cross is assisting the grandmother and three children. The Clark County coroner will release the name of the woman.

 

Loading...