Fire restrictions in western Nevada begin this week
Carson City, NV (KTNV) -- Lingering drought conditions and increasing temperatures have prompted several state agencies to announce the implementation of fire restrictions.
The restrictions will begin Friday, June 28 at 12:01 a.m. and will last until further notice.
Vegetation in western Nevada and eastern California is significantly dryer for this time of year.
The public is encouraged to safely enjoy public lands, bearing in mind that human-caused fires annually threaten human life, private property and public land resources every summer.
Fire Restrictions Prohibit:
- Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire or stove fire except a portable stove using gas or pressurized liquid fuel, outside of a developed fee campground or picnic area
- Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or at a developed campground or picnic area
- Welding or operating an acetylene torch with open flames, except by permit
- Using or causing to be used, any explosive, except by permit.
- Possession or use of fireworks
- Use of tracer rounds, steel-core ammunition or exploding targets while recreational shooting
- Open burning
Affected areas include: BLM, USFS, NDF, USFWS and BIA.
People will be cited who do not comply with the restrictions or those who use fireworks.