Careless smoking blamed for fire near Russell and Maryland
Clark County firefighters were called to a house fire Tuesday afternoon.Photo: Video by ktnv.com
Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- Clark County firefighters were called to a house fire Tuesday afternoon.
It happened just before 4:30 p.m. at a home on Escondido Street, near Russell and Maryland Parkway.
The Clark County Fire Department received a call of a grass fire in front of a home. Within minutes, multiple calls came in reporting the high winds had fanned the fire out of control and the house was on fire.
When crews arrived, the side of the house and the attic were both heavily involved in fire.
It took approximately 20 minutes to get the fire under control. A total of 42 personnel responded from both Clark County and Las Vegas Fire & Rescue.
Crews said the residents weren't home at the home of the fire. No injuries were reported.
Investigators said a carelessly discarded cigarette was to blame, but the fire has been ruled accidental.
The fire displaced a family of eight and the American Red Cross is assisting them.
Damage was estimated at $85,000.