New Firefly on Paradise opens after salmonella outbreak
The new Firefly on Paradise opened Friday evening after a massive salmonella outbreak shut down the previous location.Photo: Video by ktnv.com
Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- The new Firefly on Paradise opened Friday evening after a massive salmonella outbreak shut down the previous location.
It was just two days ago that officials with the Southern Nevada Health District pinpointed chorizo as the source of salmonella that sickened nearly 300 people last month.
Now, Firefly ownership hopes to wipe the slate clean with a myriad of health and safety changes at the opening of a brand new restaurant.
"Today signifies a new beginning, a fresh start, an opportunity to be a better restaurant, to be as safe as we can possibly be, and to be better people because of what we've experienced," said Tabatha Simmons, one of Firefly's owners. "
The new location is just a few hundred feet away from the old Firefly on Paradise. The owners made the decision to close that location about a month ago, shortly after the salmonella outbreak.
Owners say they were devastated by what happened, and made several changes to ensure food safety protocol. A food safety expert with 45 years of experience was hired to re-train all employees.
That expert promises the menu is as clean and safe as can be.