Campaign reminds parents not to leave children in hot cars
Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- Since 1998, 11 children have died in Nevada after being left unattended in a hot car.
On Thursday, local and national leaders announced an awareness campaign to keep children safe.
All it takes is a few short minutes inside a hot car for a child to die of heat stroke. One local mother knows that reality all too well.
"Always know where your child is," said Jody Esposito. "You might be a pesty mother, but just for a second you turn around and you'll have to deal with what I'm dealing with 12 years later."
Jody Esposito's 5-year-old son Michael died after getting locked in a trunk while playing hide-and-seek.
Jody joined Safe Kids at Sunrise Hospital to promote the "Look Before You Lock" campaign.
Local officials simulated a 911 rescue to show how quickly a child can die of heat stroke when left in a car.
David Strickland with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said we need to have zero tolerance.
"If you're walking through a parking lot and see a kid in a car, don't wait. Call 911. It's better to have them come and have a safe baby than to have a tragedy," Strickland said.
Those behind the "Look Before You Lock" campaign is urging everyone to "ACT": Avoid heat stroke injuries, Create reminders and Take action whenever possible.