CREATED May. 14, 2013
Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- A local jury has awarded Hong Kong businessman Richard Suen a $70 million judgment against billionaire Sheldon Adelson's Las Vegas Sands Corporation.
Suen says he was shorted $328 million after helping Adelson get a gaming license in Macau, China's gaming region.
"It feels great. We've worked on this case since 2004," says Suen's attorney, John O'Malley.
The 12 member jury unanimously came to a decision. This is the second time a jury has sided with Suen and his company.
Five years ago, he was awarded almost $ 44 million, but Adelson appealed. It leaves the possibility that Adelson may appeal again after learning about today's verdict.
"We hope Mr. Adelson pays the bill now but we'll have to see if that's what he's going to do," says O'Malley.
According to Adelson, Suen merely acted as a consultant and had no influence over Adelson's interest in developing within Macau.
Last month, the billionaire took the stand and said he refused to be targeted because of his deep pockets. "I've got to be responsible. It's other people's money as well as my own. Even successful people and wealthy companies are entitled to justice," he told the courtroom.
However, Tuesday's ruling was in Suen's favor. "I've always kept my faith with the Las Vegas community and I've been proven right and I wish to offer my most grateful 'thanks'," Suen tells Action News.