More victims learn Firefly was the source of their illness
The number of people affected by the salmonella outbreak at Firefly restaurant has reached 200, and many are just finding out why they got sick as word spreads over the Internet.Photo: Video by ktnv.com
Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- The number of people affected by the salmonella outbreak at Firefly restaurant has reached 200, and many are just finding out why they got sick as word spreads over the Internet.
The owner is trying to build a new reputation by shutting down the Firefly that was ground zero for the largest food poisoning case in recent history, and opening a new restaurant a few yards away.
That may not be enough. The story has gone global with visitors from Canada and the U.K. among those sickened in the outbreak. Coverage has spread on national news outlets as well, letting tourists from across the country and the world become aware of the outbreak.
Many convention-goers and tourists from around the country and the world were within walking distance of Firefly on Paradise a couple of weeks ago, and are just now realizing where and why they got sick.
"It was super highly-rated on Yelp. It looked great," said Lynn Mullowney, a tourist from California who ate at Firefly on her recent visit to Las Vegas.
Action News talked to Lynn via Skype. She told us she and her nephew were in town from California to spend time with her parents, who were also in town for the week.
But within days of eating at Firefly and returning home to California, Lynn became violently ill.
"They sent me straight to the ER and they admitted me and I was in the hospital for five days," Lynn said.
Lynn, her nephew and her mom all got sick, but the symptoms hit her the hardest.
"They did IV fluids because my blood pressure tanked," Lynn said. "It was like 80 over 40."
Lynn said she didn't make the connection between the source of their sickness until a California Centers for Disease Control investigator came to her home.
"Then, we Google searched 'Firefly' right there on the spot and we found the news article that you had already run about it," Lynn said.
She says even family members who weren't at Firefly were at risk.
"It was a little nerve-wracking for us because my husband is immuno-suppressed," Lynn said. "He's a kidney transplant recipient and so we have to be so careful."
The family wants Firefly to be more careful, too.
"I'm not going to get all inflammatory about it, I just think they need to take responsibility," Lynn said. "If you're in food service, providing safe food is a minimum."