Firefly remains closed indefinitely after salmonella outbreak
More food poison victims come forward from FireflyPhoto: Video by ktnv.com
Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- Firefly on Paradise Road remains shut down indefinitely after a salmonella outbreak sickened dozens and forced inspectors to close the popular restaurant.
On Monday, a spokesperson for the Southern Nevada Health District said no date for the re-inspection or the reopening of the restaurant has been set.
Health officials also continue to test food samples to determine where exactly the salmonella originated.
Nearly two weeks ago, people began to report becoming ill after eating at Firefly. They reported diarrhea, vomiting, headaches and fever. Several were hospitalized. Among those who became ill, three were employees.
Health inspectors paid a visit to Firefly and served 44 demerits, shutting down the restaurant immediately.
Stool samples from patients later confirmed the outbreak was caused by salmonella.
Inspectors gathered samples of food items in hopes of identifying the origin of the bacteria.
Victims of the outbreak have already filed lawsuits against Firefly.
Firefly's owner had hoped to reopen the restaurant this week after hiring someone to help improve their practice.
The company operates two other locations: One on Sahara and one in Henderson. Both passed recent inspections and remain fully operational.