CREATED May. 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- At least one attorney is talking about taking legal action against the Firefly restaurant after at least 39 people came down with salmonella poisoning after eating there.
Newly-released photos from health inspectors show the gross conditions inside the Firefly on Paradise Road that led them to shut down the place with 44 demerits.
Raw food was stored over cooked food. Food was prepared by employees who didn't wear gloves, and who wiped surfaces with dirty towels. The kitchen didn't have sanitizer buckets, and the hand-washing sink was used to dump food.
Attorney and restaurant critic John Curtis says he's already been contacted by some of the people who got sick.
He said, "You know, anybody can get a bad clam at any restaurant, but when you have 30 to 40 people in one week, you're talking about practice negligence on the part of a restaurant team. Not just the cooks. Not just the dishwasher. They're ignoring some really important safety hazards that are in the restaurant".
Firefly's owner is scheduled to meet with health inspectors on Thursday to review the problems at the Paradise Road location and find ways to fix them.
He emailed a statement to Action News that the other two other Firefly restaurants on West Sahara and South Eastern were not linked to the salmonella outbreak. Both now have "A" grades.