Careless smoking probably to blame for fire that killed senior citizen

Krista Hostetler

Photo Courtesy: Las Vegas Fire & Rescue

Careless smoking probably to blame for fire that killed senior citizen

CREATED Apr. 10, 2013

Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- Las Vegas firefighters were called to the scene of an apartment fire Wednesday afternoon.

It happened at the Destinations at Valley View Active Adult Living facility just before 4 p.m. on the 1600 block of Valley View Boulevard, near Oakey Boulevard.

When crews arrived, they found smoke pouring out of a downstairs unit. The fire department's quick response prevented the fire from spreading to other units.

They then found a deceased woman in a back bedroom.

Action News was told two sisters lived in the unit. One was out walking the dog when the fire happened.

Damage is estimated at $65,000.

Authorities said careless smoking is possibly to blame for the fire. It is a problem that they encounter all too often in fires involving elderly victims.

 

Loading...