Hand sanitizer could be to blame for child catching fire
Girl catches fire in hospitalPhoto: Video by ktnv.com
(KTNV) -- A little girl's t-shirt mysteriously caught fire recently in a Portland, Oregon, hospital and the hand santizer she had just used could be to blame.
11-year-old Ireland Lane is a cancer survivor who went to the hospital after a head injury.
Her dad says she was making a craft project for her nurses and used the hand sanitizer to clean up.
He thinks that the static electricty from her blankets ignited the santizer.
Ireland had just wiped her hands on her t-shirt and then it caught fire.
Ireland suffered third-degree burns on her chest, neck, arms and earlobes.
Experts say they still aren't sure if the hand sanitizer is to blame but it is certainly possible.
The hand sanitizer in the hospital that Ireland was staying in was 60 percent alcohol and investigators say the spark from static electricty could have ignited fumes on Ireland's t-shirt.